- This event has passed.
March 18 @ 8:24 am
Whether you are preparing for the next global pandemic, planning an epic National Park adventure or just trying to survive your next family car or river camping trip, this event is for you!
St. Croix River Association, the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway (National Park Service), ArtReach St. Croix, and Wisconsin Interstate Park will offer hands-on demonstration and presentations that will help you to better prepare for surviving all of your spring and summer adventures on the Ice Age Trail and the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
Kids, we will also have some fun activities just for you, such as compass 101, geocaching, knot tying and learning to rig a mini zip line in your backyard!
Jerry Dorff, owner of Wild River Outfitters in Grantsburg, WI
Phil Peterson, author of Six Knots for Everyday Life
St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, National Park Service Park Rangers
Date: Saturday, April 27
Time: Noon – 4pm
Location: Wisconsin Interstate Park Ice Age Visitor Center
1275 State Highway 35
St. Croix Falls, WI 54024
Cost: Wisconsin State Park Sticker, $8 Day Use Rate (pay upon entering park)
- Ice Age Trail and Riverway Trip Planning (Drop-in program) from noon – 4pm, Ice Age Visitor Center classroom
- We will answer your questions about packing, planning and preparedness
Ice Age Visitor Center Auditorium Presentations
- Planning Your St. Croix and Namekagon River Trips: Noon – 1pm
- River Safety and Fire Safety with the National Park Service: 1 – 2pm
- What to Pack – First Aid Kits: 2 – 2:30pm
- Lightweight Backpacking: 2:30 – 3:00pm
Outdoor Activities and Workshops
- Art & Nature (Your Summer Art Outside Itinerary and St. Croix Haiku Writing Workshop): Noon – 4pm, ArtReach St. Croix, Deck of Ice Age Visitor Center
- The Art of Campfire Building: Noon – 4pm, Behind Ice Age Visitor Center (Drop-in program)
- Canoeing Basics: 1 – 4pm, Lake of the Dalles Beach (Drop-in program)
- Snow alternative: Snowshoeing Basics: 1 – 4pm, Ice Age Visitor Center (Drop-in program)
- Compass Basics: Every half hour starting at Noon and ending at 4pm, check in on lawn in front of Ice Age Visitor Center
- Casting Basics – ongoing, Lake of the Dalles Beach (Drop-in program)
- Fishing, Lake of the Dalles Beach (Drop-in program)
- Geocaching (Ongoing throughout the day; check in at the Ice Age Visitor Center)
- Knot Tying – Skyline Shelter, 2 – 4pm with Phil Peterson, the author of Six Knots for Everyday Life
- Nature Photography (TBD), with Gary Noren
- Rig a Mini Zip Line, noon – 1pm and 1 – 2pm outside the Ice Age Visitor Center