- This event has passed.
January 19 @ 1:18 pm
Midwinter Bald Eagle Count: Your Car. Your Count.
What: Midwinter Bald Eagle Count
When: Saturday, January 26, anytime between 7am and noon
Where: Anywhere within the St. Croix River Watershed, but we recommend sticking close to the rivers close to you and their landings.
Who: Anyone who lives in the 7,600 square mile St. Croix River Watershed!
Why: Since 2001 there has been a downward trend in the percentage of young eagles recorded on counts across the Midwest. The percentage of young is now about where it was in the late 1960’s. The last 5-year average of 27.6% is actually lower than the 5-year average in the late 1960’s of 28.5%. We need to find a reason!
1. Register below online.
2. Plan your route. It can be done by car or on foot.
3. Print the surveying form below.
4. Count the bald eagles you see along your route.
5. Record your sightings.
6. Keep moving so you don’t recount the same eagles!
7. Submit your record sheet and surveying form to the St. Croix River Association
– Scan and email to: email@example.com or Mail to: PO Box 655, St. Croix Falls, WI 54024
*After submitting your surveying form, you will be entered in a drawing to receive an SCRA schwag bag!